24 Inspiring Quotes from Queen Victoria



Queen Victoria reigned for almost 64 years and the length of her service to the throne marked an era when Britannia ruled the waves in an empire where the sun never sets. Initially criticized for her lack of experience and immature behavior (remember the Bedchamber Crisis?), the Queen eventually learned her lesson and through the years became a symbol of wisdom—the epitome of what a Constitutional Monarch is. Here are inspiring quotes of wisdom from the Grandmother of Europe.

On War

“We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist.”

“The Government should take a firm, bold line. This delay - this uncertainty, by which, abroad, we are losing our prestige and our position, while Russia is advancing and will be before Constantinople in no time! Then the Government will be fearfully blamed and the Queen so humiliated that she thinks she would abdicate at once.”

On Women’s Rights

“The Queen is most anxious to enlist everyone in checking this mad, wicked folly of 'Women's Rights'. It is a subject which makes the Queen so furious that she cannot contain herself. “

“For a man to strike any women is most brutal, and I, as well as everyone else, think this far worse than any attempt to shoot, which, wicked as it is, is at least more comprehensible and more courageous. “

“Were women to "unsex" themselves by claiming equality with men, they would become the most hateful, heathen, and disgusting of beings and would surely perish without male protection.”

On Artists

“I would venture to warn against too great intimacy with artists as it is very seductive and a little dangerous. “



On Marriage

“When I think of a merry, happy, free young girl - and look at the ailing, aching state a young wife generally is doomed to - which you can't deny is the penalty of marriage.”

“I feel sure that no girl would go to the altar if she knew all.”

“A marriage is no amusement but a solemn act, and generally a sad one.”

“Being married gives one one's position like nothing else can. Queen Victoria”

“I think people really marry far too much; it is such a lottery after all, and for a poor woman a very doubtful happiness. “

On Being Queen

“The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.”

“Since it has pleased Providence to place me in this station, I shall do my utmost to fulfil my duty towards my country; I am very young and perhaps in many, though not in all things, inexperienced, but I am sure that very few have more real good will and more real desire to do what is fit and right than I have.”


On Not Growing

“Everybody grows but me.”

On Babies

“I don't dislike babies, though I think very young ones rather disgusting.”

On Dogs

“Nothing will turn a man's home into a castle more quickly and effectively than a dachshund.”


On Innovation

“We will not have failure - only success and new learning.”

On the British People’s Love for Beer

“Give my people plenty of beer, good beer, and cheap beer, and you will have no revolution among them.”

On the Queen’s Love for Peace

“Great events make me quiet and calm; it is only trifles that irritate my nerves.”

“I love peace and quiet, I hate politics and turmoil. We women are not made for governing, and if we are good women, we must dislike these masculine occupations.”



On Being Prim and Proper

“I positively think that ladies who are always enceinte quite disgusting; it is more like a rabbit or guinea-pig than anything else and really it is not very nice.”

On Concealing Your Feelings

“Do not to let your feelings (very natural and usual ones) of momentary irritation and discomfort be seen by others don't (as you so often did and do) let every little feeling be read in your face and seen in your manner . . .”

On Alcohol

“Total abstinence is an impossibility and ... it will not do to insist on it as a general practice ...”

On Her Love of Scotland

“Lord Aberdeen was quite touched when I told him I was so attached to the dear, dear Highlands and missed the fine hills so much. There is a great peculiarity about the Highlands and Highlanders; and they are such a chivalrous, fine, active people.”


Comments

Popular Posts